Data is a necessary asset for any large or small enterprise. This is because the whole enterprise activities revolve around data.
Let’s take a few examples of some industries that leverage data:
- Banking – Details about transactions & market activities.
- Agriculture – Data about weather conditions & the type of crop to sow.
- Logistics – Traffic conditions, KPIs & other important metrics.
These are just three industries. Many other industries rely on critical data. Some of the prominent industries are:
- Emergency Management
- Real Estate
- Public Health
- Natural Resources
All of these sectors obtain data about their operational, marketing & other activities, analyze them & extract insights. These insights are then leveraged to develop actionable plans that can easily improve employee productivity & operational efficiency.
Problems Associated with Manual Data Collection & Storage
For a long time, data has been collected manually. However, such data collection methods entail a lot of disadvantages. Some of them are
- Complicated Process – Collecting data with the help of paper-based forms is a huge & complex task.
- Takes up a Lot of Time – Field workers need to gather data from various sources, so they are constantly moving. The complex nature of manual data collection certainly consumes a lot of time.
- Infrastructure Requirements – Paper-based forms & records need to be stored in a particular place as they take up a lot of space.
- Vulnerability – The paper forms & registers are prone to damage which can severely affect data collection & storage activities.
- High Costs – To enter data into paper forms or books, you need ink. The storage & management of such huge data also entails huge costs.
- Slow Data Access – It is a known fact that to access a particular piece of information, you need to go through troves of paper forms, records & registers.
What does an Automated Data Collection & Storage mean?
The name itself suggests that activities like data collection & storage are automated.
So, usually, companies leverage sophisticated software or easy-to-use mobile applications to seamlessly collect & store data.
Software – These sophisticated programs are generally used in personal computers or laptops. They eliminate the need for paper but require some sort of technical skills. That is because employees/clients need to operate computers & follow guidelines to enter data.
Mobile Applications – Mobile phones & mobile apps are used by everyone. People don’t need special training to operate mobile devices & apps as they are easy-to-use & almost everyone is accustomed to it.
Advantages of Automated Data Collection & Storage
Automating data collection & storage activities via robust enterprise mobile data solutions can benefit many large & small companies that are still dependent on manual data collection & storage methods.
Some of the most amazing advantages of data collection & storage automation are:
- Enhanced Efficiency & Clarity
Imagine entering a storage room which contains a truckload of documents piled up over each other. They look clumsy & many times even dirty. That is because they are paper-based. Once they are stored in a particular place, they become almost irrelevant. That is because the data is only accessed when there is a need & the rest of the times it is just lying around.
But this is not the case with automated data collection & storage methods as these depend on robust enterprise-grade software/mobile applications like a Data Collection App, Data Management App and many more.
Data collected, stored & managed digitally is easier to access & requires less maintenance as compared to manual data collection & storage methods. Storing data in a digital form also helps employees/clients to readily
- More Work in Less Time
Manual data collection is cumbersome & takes up a lot of time. Just look at the timeline of manual data collection activities:
- Field or on-site workers enter data in paper-based forms/registers
- The forms/records are stored. Field data reports need to be sent to another location for further analysis. This will result in huge costs.
- Data needs to be verified so on-site employees analyze field worker’s data & validate it.
The entire process consumes a lot of time. However, with automation, you can easily eliminate redundant manual processes. Data collection, analysis and storage can be seamlessly done on a real-time basis.
- Reduced Costs
As we saw in the second point, various manual data collection & storage methods are eliminated.
Due to automation, paperwork is reduced which results in the elimination of storage aspects like filing cabinets, printers, ink & employees needed to maintain the data storage activities.
This ultimately leads to cost-savings for large & small enterprises.
- Minimal Errors
Manual data entry is riddled with errors. However, data collection automation which incorporates robust algorithms during data entry can easily reduce/nullify data entry errors.
This is why it’s high time to automate data collection & storage processes. If you are planning to develop robust Enterprise Mobile Data Solutions like Data Collection App, Data Management tools, then you should check out Datafi. With its powerful features like drag & drop, unlimited editing & real-time, even layman can create an enterprise-grade mobile application within a few minutes.